This is the Ball Position Golf Lesson for the Driver. This lesson is designed to help you develop a consistent routine so that you can have your ball positioned in the same place every time. There are many things that you can take care of before you swing that will help with you ball striking. Ball position is certainly one of those things.
The better and more consistent your ball position is the easier it is to make good contact. It is one of those small yet important details. If your ball position is too far back it makes your swing too steep. If it is too far forward then in causes you to lunge and reach for the ball. Proper ball position makes your swing much more effective. So, let’s build a routine that will allow you to put your golf ball in the same place every time so you can make solid contact with your driver.
Step One : Feet Together
- To be consistent with your ball position you always want to start with your feet together. This way you can move your feet almost the same distance every time and keep your ball position consistent.
- Place your ball in between your toes. You always want to have the same starting point. This just keeps the process simpler.
Step Two : The Logo System
- In the picture I am wearing a golf shirt with a logo on my left side. This is important for basic ball position, as we will use this logo as a reference. If you don’t have a shirt with a logo, or are a left handed player, most logos sit a couple of inches in from your armpit. You can either imagine one in the proper place, or you could even put a sticker there to represent the logo to make it easier to practice.
- You are going to line up your ball with the logo (or sticker) on your shirt. This is for all full swing shots. It does not matter what club you are using, the position will always be the same.
- The only change you will see from the pictures is how wide you stance will be with the different clubs.
Step Three : Move Your Left Foot
- No matter what club you are using, move your left foot into position first. You are going to move your left foot the same distance every time.
- Move your left foot so the the inside of your foot is in line with your armpit. This will make moving your right foot much easier because it will automatically line up your golf ball with your logo.
- The beauty of this system is it’s simplicity. You should be able to repeat it every time you step up to a full swing shot.
Step Four : Move Your Right Foot
- After you move your right foot your golf ball will always be in line with your logo on your shirt. Even though your right move moves different distances.
- Your stance needs to get wider as your clubs get longer. Your Driver stance will have the inside edges of your feet in line with the outside edges of your shoulders.
- You need your ball positioned more towards your left foot with the driver because you want hit your golf ball with a sweeping motion. You want to pick the ball right off the tee. This will give you the contact that will give you the best height and distance for your shot.
- For more details on stance width please see the Back to Basics Stance Lesson.
Thank you for taking the Ball Position Golf Lesson for the Driver. Ball position is often over looked and taken for granted, but is actually vital to making good consistent ball striking. Please use the structure of this golf lesson so that you can develop a strong routine that will allow you to have the your ball properly positioned to improve your game.
Good luck with your practicing and playing. May you ‘Play Your Golf Dreams’ sooner with the help of free-golf-lessons.com.