RBC Canadian Open
- Glen Abbey Golf Course
- Oakville, Ontario, Canada
- July 21-July 26, 2008
Defending Champion: Jim Furyk
- 1st Round Golf Channel 3pm-6pm
- 2nd Round Golf Channel 3pm-6pm
- 3rd Round CBS 3pm-6pm
- 4th Round CBS 3pm-6pm
The Canadian Open is one of the oldest golf championships in the world. It was first contested in 1904. It was a one day 36 hole event. It was won by John H. Oke with a total score of 156.
The event has certainly grown over the years. When Oke won over 100 years ago he took home a total of $60. In 2008 $60 will get you through the gate to watch the Final Round, but a player will take home $900,000 of the $5 million purse. Oh how the times have changed.
This tournament has been played on some of the great courses in Canada. It has been played in the great cities of Canada; Royal Montreal in Montreal (host of last year’s Presidents Cup), Shaunessy in Vancouver, and Glen Abbey or Angus Glen near Toronto.
In the field:
- Jim Furyk – 2 time defending Champ, good showing at Open last week
- Eric Axely – lost in playoff two weeks ago
- Retief Goosen – 2 time US Open champion
- Anthony Kim – 2 wins this year, great showing in The Open last week
- Camilo Villegas – he will win soon…but how soon?
- Mike Weir – Canadian pride
- Stephen Ames – will he be the first Canadian to win since 1956
Glen Abbey Golf Course
This golf course has hosted this championship more times than any other course in Canada. A total of 23 champions have been crowned on these links. It is a great test, and has been witness to some great shots. Who could ever forget Tiger’s 216 yard 6 iron over water to a back right pin placement. When Tiger finishes his career I am sure that will be in his top ten highlights.
The course will play as a par 71 at 7222 yards. This course is not enormous but with the wet summer that has been in the area it may not produce the roll on the tee shots the Tour Players are used to. That will leave them a club or two longer into the hole. Ball striking will certainly be at a premium.
I hope you enjoy the 2008 RBC Canadian Open at the Glen Abbey Golf Course. Remember to check back here for the Tour Tips of the Leaders before the start of the 3rd round.